Position : full Professor of Clinical Biochemistry School of Medicine, University of Catania, Department of Biomedical and Biotechnological Sciences, University of Catania
Studies: 9/4/1984 Degree in Medicine, with magna cum laude, University of Catania. Thesis: Modifications of brain lipid metabolism during aging.
8/7/1988 Specialization in Neurology, with magna cum laude, University of Catania. Thesis: Oxidative stress in central nervous system.
Chairman and Director, School of Clinical Pathology and Clinical Biochemistry, University of Catania, University of Messina.
Professor of Clinical Biochemistry, CL Magistrale in Medicine, University of Catania.
Professor of Clinical Biochemistry, CL Professioni sanitarie, University of Catania.
Professor of Clinical Biochemistry, International Doctorate Basic and applied Biomedical Sciences.
Awards and Distinctions
1987 Post-Doctoral fellow in Neurobiology at the New York University Medical School, (N.Y.);
1989 Post-Doctoral fellow in Neuropharmacology at the Thomas Jefferson University Medical School (Philadelphia, PA,);
2000-2005: Visiting Professor University College London, Department of Neurochemistry, funded by Wellcome Trust Grant on “The role of antioxidants in L- DOPA induced damage to the Substantia Nigra”.
i. Visiting Professor Northwick Park Institute for Medical Research, Department of Surgical Research, University of London;
ii. Visiting Professor University of Kentucky, Department of Chemistry.
iii. Visiting Professor Blanchette Rockefeller Neuroscience Institute, West Virginia University (MD).
iv. Coordinator Euro-Mediterranean- Academy of Antiaging Medicine
v. Visiting Professor Biomedical Research Centre, University of Dundee (UK).
vi. Visiting Professor Barshop Institute for Aging and Longevity Studies and Department of Physiology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, TX.
1. Journal of Neuroscience Research
2. Neurochem Research
3. Antioxidant Redox Signaling
4. Journal Neurochemistry
5. Free Radical Biology Medicine
6. Current Neurovascular Disorders.
7. Antioxidant Redox Signaling
8. Journal Neuroscience Research
9. Faseb Journal
10. Journal of Biological Chemistry
11. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development
Field of Scientific Interest
1. Role of Oxidative Stress and Mitochondrial dysfunction in Aging, Neurodegenerative disorders and Longevity
2. Nutritional Antioxidants and Modulation of cellular redox state.
3. Proteomics and redox proteomics
4. Heat shock signal pathway and brain cell stress response
5. Alcohol metabolism and alcohol-related pathology
6. Gasobiology of the CNS: Role of Nitric Oxide (NO), Carbon Monoxide (CO) and Hydrogen sulfite (H2S) in the regulation of gene expression
7. Carbon monoxide and organ transplantation
8. Redox Modulation of Vitagenes by endogenous compounds (Carnosine, Carnitines, Hormones) by polyphenols as target for nover therapeutic interventions in neurodegeneration and cancer.
10. Healthy Medicine e Medicina mitocondriale
University of Catania, Viale Andrea Doria, 6. 95125 – Catania